European citizens

European students must bring a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with them. The EHIC card proves that you are entitled to health insurance at home. Insured citizens of EEA countries are entitled to benefits in kind which are necessary on medical grounds during a temporary stay in Iceland, taking into account the nature of the benefits and the expected length of the stay. If you have to see a doctor, you must present the EHIC and your passport. This is proof that you are entitled to health insurance at home. (For further information or if in doubt, see the website of the State Social Security Institute

Non-EU and -EEA citizens

Students from non-EU/EEA countries should have health insurance from an insurance company in their country that is licensed to operate in Iceland or buy insurance from an Icelandic insurance company. You will need coverage for the six-month waiting period until you are covered by the Icelandic Social Health Insurance. Below are Icelandic insurance companies from which you can buy health insurance. You must purchase insurance in order to apply for your student visa.

Social Security / Medical insurance

The Icelandic Social Security system is for Icelandic residents. There is a qualifying period of 6 months’ residency for new residents; the period starts running from the date of registration in the Þjóðskrá (the National Registry). Once the six-month qualifying period has passed, you will be eligible to receive the Icelandic social health care and will no longer need to purchase medical insurance.